Hamden Police - News Release
CONTACT: Sean J. Dolan – Public Information Officer
PIO #: 22-083
On September 13, 2022 at approximately 12:00 PM, Hamden Police Officers responded to the area of Sebec Street and Leo Road for a reported street robbery. The preliminary investigation revealed that the victim was meeting someone to purchase a vehicle he found on social media. It was later determined to be an apparent fraudulent “car sale” transaction. Two suspects with masks approached the victim and robbed him at gunpoint. The suspect vehicle was described as a black sedan with tinted windows that fled towards Leo Road. The victim was not injured.
Anyone with information or video surveillance related to the robbery is asked to contact Detective Shawn Nutcher of the Hamden Police Department’s Major Crimes Unit at 203-287-4812 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Callers may remain anonymous.
The Hamden Police Department recommends some very important crime-prevention safety tips regarding social media transactions:
- Understand that some seller profiles or listings on social media may be fraudulent.
- Meet in a public place, preferably well-lit and with security cameras.
- Have someone with you during any sale transactions.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash or any other valuables on your person.
- If you sense trouble, leave the area as quick as possible.
- If you are robbed, make personal safety your number one priority. Money and property can always be replaced. Contact police as soon as you safely can.