6/29/2019 - 6/29/19- Shooting Investigation - Choate Avenue - Update
Date: June 29, 2019
Contact: Captain Ronald Smith
Phone: (203) 230-4029
SHOOTING INVESTIGATION UPDATE
Hamden Police are currently canvassing the Choate Avenue neighborhood in an attempt to locate additional evidence relating to last night’s shooting. Members of the Hamden Police Department Detective Division and K-9 Unit are participating in the search. As of now, we are aware of 5 gunshot victims. Detectives are attempting to ascertain if there are any other victims.
The victims include:
- An 18 year-old New Haven resident. She suffered a gunshot wound in the area of her right flank.
- A 19 year-old Bridgeport resident. She suffered a gunshot wound to her buttocks.
- A 20 year-old New Haven resident. He suffered a gunshot wound to his arm.
- A 21 year-old Hamden resident. She suffered a gunshot wound to her foot.
- A 23 year-old New Haven resident. He suffered a gunshot wound to his thigh.
The status of their injuries is unknown at this time.
Prior to last night’s shooting, at approximately 7:20p.m., Hamden Police were dispatched to an Exeter Road residence regarding a trespassing complaint. The homeowner advised police that several people were walking on her front lawn.
An officer observed numerous motor vehicles parked in the area. Furthermore, he observed “a large party at 937 Choate Avenue.” The officer determined that although there were a large number of guests, “the music was not unreasonably loud.” He reported that the homeowner and guests were cooperative. The officer advised the homeowner to ask the guests to leave by 10:00p.m. The homeowner agreed, stating that he would have the guests leave by 9:00p.m.
The person responsible for the shooting is at-large.