Date: March 10, 2021
Contact: Captain Ronald Smith
Phone: (203) 230-4029
In 2020, the Hamden Police Department investigated 31 motor vehicle accidents, involving pedestrians that have sustained injuries. This is a 10% increase from 2019. Approximately 45% of these accidents have occurred on Dixwell Avenue.
The Hamden Police Department urges pedestrians to:
- Cross the street within a marked crosswalk.
- Use the sidewalk, if available.
- If there are no sidewalks, cross at the corner.
- Walk on the shoulder on the roadway, if there is no sidewalk. Do not walk in the street.
- Avoid crossing the street between parked vehicles.
- AVOID DISTRACTIONS. Do not cross the street while talking on the cell phone or texting. Please pay attention to your surroundings.