Hamden Police - News Release
CONTACT: Sean J. Dolan – Public Information Officer
PIO #: 21-123
The Hamden Police Department would like to take this opportunity to wish all of our town residents a happy & safe Halloween. While everyone is out celebrating this upcoming weekend, we would like to remind families and their children of these important safety tips:
- Children should wear costumes and/or carry bags with reflective markings & reflective tape. Adults should also wear reflective clothing. Carry a flashlight or glow sticks for increased visibility.
- Children should be accompanied by an adult.
- Wear costumes that do not obstruct your vision.
- Be aware of your surroundings and utilize sidewalks if they are available.
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks. Look both ways before crossing the street.
- All treats should be thoroughly inspected before being consumed.
- Never enter a stranger’s home and never accept a ride from a stranger.
- Parents should be aware of the route that their children are taking.
- Drivers should drive slowly and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways.
Some additional Halloween COVID-19 safety tips to consider:
- Wear a cloth mask if possible. A costume mask is not a substitute.
- Avoid large gatherings if possible.
- Utilize hand sanitizer often. Use it after touching objects, including candy.
- Providers should distribute candy outdoors and avoid direct contact with trick-or-treaters if feasible.
The Hamden Police Department will assign additional patrols throughout town to maintain an increased presence and to help ensure everyone’s safety. Happy Halloween!